Students are very often interested in that how to get a scholarship and what they need to do. This is a very actual question having a lot of hidden rocks. Here, I bring several important tips on how to win a grant.
If you don’t want to spend a lot of time applying for scholarships or paying off student loan debt, this article is for you.
The first you need to do is to monitor and apply for the local grants. You can find a lot of scholarships offered by different communities using income from clubs, small businesses, benefactors, and organizations. The chance to win a grant in this organizations is more because they are opened to the close community of students.
1. How to search for local scholarships?
- Ask for the advice from your teacher or guidance counselor;
- Monitor community websites;
- Check local media websites, TV and radio stations;
- Enter in the searching field that you are searching for, for instance, “scholarships in New York”;
- You can ask for the advice from people who have already graduated;
- Pay your attention to the personalized grants search tools. The most popular ones are Scholarship Match.
2. Choose scholarships where you need to work hard
Your odds to win increase when students need to hard work because majority students don’t work hard. They don’t want to write essays or articles, create videos and projects. This reason causes a little size of the applicant pool, therefore you have more chances. If the condition of getting a winning is to write an essay more than 1 thousand words, the number of applicants is fewer than 500. The number of applicants for scholarships with easier tasks reaches 5000 students.
3. Choose scholarships offering little rewards
If you want to win a scholarship, you have more chances to get a winning with fewer rewards. Scholarships offering high rewards require hard conditions of the competition. Winning such scholarships, you can get books, supplies, and waste your money for the living. Paying off these little wastes will help you save money for the education.
- Choose those scholarships that fit your own interests. Don’t waste your time on applying for boring ones. You should make everything with a great pleasure. Different organizations offer scholarships for any tastes. The more it fits your tastes and lifestyle, the better result you will reach.
- Writing your essay, don’t point your name
This is the main rule of different student competitions. Essays including your name or other identifying information will be discarded.
- Writing your essay, don’t abuse with essay prompts.
To be unique and demonstrate all your skills, think and write individually. Nobody wants to read the same sentences a lot of times. Use your own methods and techniques for catching the reader’s attention. Writing an essay, don’t be afraid of your personal features and your own experience. Writing about this, you will hook readers from the very beginning. Start your essay with joke or anecdote preparing readers for your story or dip into the answer to the question from the very beginning.
- Don’t abuse with quotations
Your essay should be about you and your own experience. That’s why try to express your own thoughts and feeling using your own words. Your essay should be original and differs from the essays of other competitors.
- Fit all the requirements
To win, you should satisfy all the requirements of the task. You can write the best essay all over the world, but if you fit only four from five points from the list of requirements, your essay will be discarded. After writing your essay, check if you have satisfied all the requirements of the task.
- Every essay has its word limit, and this is very important to stick to it. You should write as many words as possible but don’t go past the limit. If you exceed the word limit, you will be disqualified.
- Send your essay in time. Don’t wait for the last day, because any problems can appear on that day including problems with the Internet or website.
- You can take part in a huge number of competitions. This will increase your chances for the winning. Spend your time monitoring different competitions offering rewards and applying for scholarships every month. You should be persevering to win.
- After writing an essay, proofread and check it for grammatical, lexical, syntax, and other types of mistakes. Different applications and websites will help you to find and correct mistakes.
- Don’t upset even if you didn’t get a success in the first or second time. The most successful students are the ones who stand out.